Thank you for chairing a session at the Coast to Coast Conference 2018, being held at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Hobart, 16 – 20 April.
Please check the online program to re-confirm the day, time and room of the session you have been allocated. Whilst we don’t anticipate any changes please check the program again prior to your session.
Below are some tips to assist you with the chairing process. Most importantly, please ensure you start and finish all presentations on time and keep to the order in the program.
Before the Session
- Abstracts for your session are available on the conference website and contain the information to introduce the speakers with their affiliation.
A printed copy will also be available for you in the session room at the conference.
- Please go to your session room 10 minutes prior to the start time to meet the presenters and familiarise yourself with the room
- Introduce yourself to the presenters and the AV technician allocated to your room
- There will be a chair table set up in the room with time cards (5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute), a bell for signalling the end of each presentation and a microphone
- Advise the presenters that you will be signalling the time and ringing the bell when they have to stop
- Presenters will upload their presentation to the cloud or with the speakers prep technician prior to the session
- The technician will be roaming between the workshop rooms to assist the presenters and trouble shoot technical issues if they arise
(If a presenters arrives with a USB to load slides direct them to the AV technician in the speakers preparation room)
- You will be advised of any housekeeping items or program updates by the registration staff or committee. Please announce these at the beginning of the session
- There will be a Q&A microphone available. Ask a member of the audience to be a microphone ‘runner’, if required
During the Session
- Begin the session on time and ask that all electronic devices are to be turned to silent
- Please use your phone to keep to time – (Your phone is more accurate than having individual clocks)
- Introduce each presentation with the title, the presenter and the presenter’s affiliations
(Presenters will be asked to sit in the front row of the theatre so they can move to the lectern quickly at the end of the previous presentation)
- If a presentation is withdrawn or a presenter does not arrive do not bring the next presentation forward, use the time for questions
(Delegates will be planning to come to your session based on the published session times)
- Ensure each session starts and finishes on time
- Presentaters have been allocated 20 minutes, including question time.
- At the end of each presentation be prepared to ask a question if time allows and no questions are forthcoming from the audience
- Do not ask any questions if the presenter has used all their allocated time
- At the conclusion of the session thank the presenters
- Use any remaining time for questions and discussion